Review: Shadows by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Damn, he made plain white T-shirts a thing to worship.


I don’t know where to start with this book. I'm just all over the place right now and can’t even begin to think about putting my feelings down into these words. 


by Jennifer L. Armentrout

The last thing Dawson Black expected was Bethany Williams. As a Luxen, an alien life form on Earth, human girls are…well, fun. But since the Luxen have to keep their true identities a secret, falling for one would be insane. Dangerous. Tempting. Undeniable. 

Bethany can’t deny the immediate connection between her and Dawson. And even though boys aren’t a complication she wants, she can’t stay away from him. Still, whenever they lock eyes, she’s drawn in. Captivated. Lured. Loved. 

Dawson is keeping a secret that will change her existence...and put her life in jeopardy. But even he can’t stop risking everything for one human girl. Or from a fate that is as unavoidable as love itself.

We all know Daemon’s story (well at least a third of it) from reading Obsidian. And we all know he is a triplet, Daemon, Dee and Dawson make up the gorgeous Black family. And in the world of Obsidian, the triplets are dwindled down to twins. According to Daemon and Dee, Dawson died. 

Shadows is his story…

Dawson might look exactly like a carbon copy of Daemon, but he is worlds different! Where Daemon is mean and can kill with a look, Dawson is soft and can melt your heart with the flutter of his eyelashes.

Good God, shed lived in Nevada her whole life and never once saw anyone who looked like that, let alone two of them. 
Who knew West Virginia was hiding such hotness? 
Dawson, like the rest of the Lux, is just trying to live his life with his brother and sister among the humans in the small mountain town they call home. And the last thing he ever though would happen was him falling in love, with a human girl. 

But when Beth walks into his life, it is changed forever. 

We follow the story of Beth and Dawson as they discover each other and can’t deny their feelings for each other, despite how wrong and totally against the rules it is for them to be together. 

But not ever story has a happy ending, or does it??

Shadows is told in three different points of view, Dawson, Beth and Daemon (HELL YES). And for someone who thinks that different POV’s can ruin a book unless done properly, I have to say that Jennifer knows how to do it!!! 
Then Ash twisted toward Daemon, her cheeks flushed. “I can’t believe you’re allowing him to do this. Next thing we know, you’ll be dating a human.”
When reading from Dawson you get all the feelings of confusion, excitement and pure desire to be with this girl, who quickly became the center of his universe!

For Beth it is all about the mysterious yet charming Dawson. Her fears of falling for another guy after her ex cheated on her and her rebellion against her mother who is caring for her ailing uncle. 

And Daemon is well just Daemon. Not much to say here, however he will surprise you and that’s all I'll say without giving away super spoilie spoilers!
Tears burned her eyes as she fought to keep her voice level. “I guess it’s a good thing, then. A relationship between us would never work.”
His eyes narrowed, "And why is that?”
“Because I'm allergic to assholes.”
Like I said before, I'm still left with a heart in a million pieces over here! And I still can’t form coherent sentences. I really loved this book, but like that a surprise considering that Obsidian was in my top 3 for 2011!!! And with Onyx being pushed back to August, this is a WONDERFUL tide over till them. And who knows what Onyx will hold now!!! But don’t worry I'm not going to give anything away!!! But I say if you can’t see it, then it’s not true! Ok really that’s all that I will say!

Haven fallen totally head over heals for Daemon and Katy I was leery about reading about Dawson and Beth because, well I can’t really explain why, it’s one of those things about loving brothers and relationships that they have. You want to give you love to them both and don’t want either to suffer for it. If that makes sense! But I digress! 

I have to say that Dawson and Beth are the SWEETIEST couple I have read about in a long time! The world soul mates fit them to a T because they are just made for each other! They love and developing relationship is incredible to read and the world of the Black family is much more developed and complex than in Obsidian. 

Dawson is sweet and charming and almost opposite of Daemon, except when pushed to his limits. A perfect counter to the hot tempered Daemon! And his relationship with Dee could be a whole book on it’s one (a longer one JENNIFER!!!)
Pivoting around, he dated his eyes back and forth between his siblings.
They stared openmouthed at him.
“What?” He demanded.
“Did you just … clean a dish?” Dee backed away slowly, blinking. She glanced at Daemon. “The world is going to end. And I'm still a vir---“
“No!” both the brothers yelled in unison.
Beth is another AMAZING heroin of Jennifer’s. She is shy but has a rebellious streak to her that makes her stand out on her own. Beth is a painter (which I so love!) and loves her “little butt” hehe, which is her younger brother! She is so relatable to the reader as a typical girl that could have been any of us in high school! 

Through this story, we are only given a taste of who she is. 

Throughout this whole book I kept laughing out loud!! Seriously Jennifer out did her self with this one!! And I love it when books do that to me! And of course by the end I was sobbing! I'm still not put back together!!!

There is a lot of romance in this book; more so than Obsidian. There is a taste of action and a LOT of DRAMA!!! You get to know more of the other Luxen that are around and yet not enough at the same time! Oh yea! If you love Obsidian, and anything else that Jennifer writes this is a no brainer to read! I finished it in about 3 hours and I could read it over and over again! 

However short this story was, I still went thought the full emotions of my Jennifer books:
1. Fall in love with the hottie!
2. Relate to the girl and fall in love with her when she says something snarky.
3. Swoon all over the place with the first encounter.
4. Resist the urge to crumple up my ereader when they do stupid things!
5. Swoon even harder all over the place with the first kiss
6. Have to take some valium because of the action.
7. Cry uncontrollably at the end!


This is an amazing, yet short, love story that will leave you breathless and crying, sobbing and screaming, laughing and swooning for a long time! 

“Yes.” Her voice came out a breathless whisper, as if she’d just run up a flight of stairs … or worked as a sex phone operator. 

Comments

  1. I am dying to read these books!!! His eyes omg his eyes lol... Great review!!!

    New Follower!

    Ali @Ali's Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! Totally love your review on this! Gotta love the GIF too :D

    Fara @ Tumbling In Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read this! But I haven't been able to find it on iTunes and I only get free ebooks on Amazon :(

    You have a new follower!

    Lizzie @ http://lizziethesarcasticblonde.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you are thinking!!!! I LOVE to hear from you!!!!!