Follow Friday (1)


Follow Friday is a blog hop hosted by two great blogs, Alison of Alison can Read and Rachel of Parajunkee.  Each host will have their own feature blog, but anybody can post!

How does it work?
  • Leave your name on the post.
  • Create a post on your own blog that links back to the post (just grab the FF button) visit as many blogs as you can and tell them hello! in their comments.  
  • Be sure to follow them and if someone follows you follow back!!!! 
Question: What’s your biggest pet peeve when it comes to books???

This is always a tough topic! I have only been reading for about 3 years now and haven’t read too many books where I can say consistently that I have this peeve! However there are some aggravating things when it comes to books.

Alternating points of view (POV)- This one I am so on the fence about! While reading a book with a single POV I find myself always yearning to know, what is that other person thinking!!!! Best example would be the Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer.  You always want to know what Alice or Edward are experiencing.  (Yes I know about Midnight Sun and have read what was posted, but I want a real published book!)

Another would be the Hush Hush series By Becca Fitzpatrick.  I got a taste of this with the extra chapter by Patch in the Wal-Mart special edition of Silence.  I still want to know more about what patch experiences and what he is feeling.  I think it would make an amazing and complex story.

Then there are the books where there is multiple POV within the book.  Sometimes it’s really great to know what is going on! But sometimes it can just be confusing!!!! 

Best example would be the Marked series by P.C. Cast, Kristin Cast.  This one has gotten to the point where it’s ridiculous!!!!! I liked it at first, but now I think it should just transfer over to a 3rd person POV! I get so confused about who I am reading and what is going on that I often forget the story line because you are reading about 7 at a time.


The best example I have read where an alternating POV wasn’t terribly confusing was Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater.  There were a couple chapters where I was like am I reading Grace or Sam??? But overall it was great!!!! There was a perfect balance between continuing the story and also getting to know what the other character was feeling. And it was always done in a way that wasn’t confusing. While reading there were times I was would be thinking I want to know what Sam is thinking or NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO take me back to Grace!!!! UGH!!!! It built a very good conflict within myself that made me want to keep reading!

What’s peeving you???

Comments

  1. Too many POV's can be confusing and distracting.

    I'm a new follower :)

    Here's my FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree sometimes I enjoy POV's other times I really could do without, new follower, here's mine
    http://headstuckinabook.blogspot.com/2011/12/feature-and-follow-friday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently reviewed Destined, the latest in the House of Night series - at final count there were ELEVEN different PoVs!! Ridiculous! But when it's done properly (I love your Shiver example!) it can be an amazing reading experience!

    New follower :)

    Follow Me Friday @ Radiant Shadows

    Don't forget to check out my 100 Followers Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy dual POVs too and the Shiver series was great!!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you are thinking!!!! I LOVE to hear from you!!!!!